Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Remembering a true adventurer

It's been weeks since my last post and I've got oodles of stories and pictures to share.  But before I get down to recapping, I'd like to dedicate a post to my grandfather, Don Duncan, who passed away just last week.

Generally people credit my travel bug and wanderlust to my mom's side of the family since she and her siblings grew up overseas.  And while the Sancho-side has been a great influence on me in this respect, I would be remiss if I didn't talk about my grandaddy and his influence on me.  

Whether he was exploring the Northwest wilderness or carving hiking sticks out of birch branches, my granddad was always up for an adventure.  As a child I remember marveling at the breadth of his knowledge— this being the man who showed me how to make hollyhock ladies, brought me back a handmade barrette from Alaska and taught me early on that taking a "prescription" of chocolate chips is the best cure for the blues.  As I grew older, I admired how despite all this expertise and experience, he still wanted to learn more.  It's a mindset that leads people to explore, take chances (say, move to Argentina?), make mistakes and keep moving forward.

My granddad lived to be 83, and I don't think he ever fell out of that mindset.  That's the mark of a true adventurer: one who never ceases to wonder at the world and all its workings.

1 comment:

  1. Aww I'm sorry that you lost your grandpa. That's great that you have such happy memories of him :).

    ReplyDelete