Sunday, July 18, 2010

Nine days and eight cows later...

There's something surreal about hosting company when you live overseas.  Think about two television shows that have completely different plot lines until a crossover episode tosses story arcs, characters and setting into a giant salad bowl.  While the episode might be chaotic with no clear direction, it's a guilty pleasure to watch two worlds collide.  In a nutshell, that's what it's like to have family visit you in a foreign country.

As I was getting back into the swing of things with my own Argentine dramedy (or is this a sitcom?), students would ask about my recent sabbatical.  To keep it short and sweet: We ate; we went on day trips; we took a bus tour around the city; we ate; we went shopping at the outdoor ferias; and then we ate some more.  Seriously, we must have eaten a small herd before the trip was over.

Although my uncle called me "comandante" a few times (type-A tour guide), all three of my visitors enjoyed their time in Buenos Aires and our day trips to Uruguay and San Antonio de Areco.  My uncle even said I might have a future in the tourism industry... yeah, no!

Here's a little recap of our adventure:

Day 1: Of course my mom makes a beeline for the Recoleta Cemetery

Day 2: Visiting Jorge Luis Borges and Carlos Gardel in Cafe Tortoni

Day 2: Shouting "GOOOAL" in El Caminto

Day 3: Enjoying a long lunch in Colonia, Uruguay— just mind the bird bombs

Day 4: Posing with the Terminator Flower

Day 6: Forty years later and they can still find their house in Vicente Lopez
Day 7: In the quintessential gaucho town of San Antonio (this ones's for you Aunt Nati)

Day 8: Shopping in Palermo Soho was, of course, mandatory

2 comments:

  1. Ah I wish I could have joined you all - it looks like you had such an amazing time!
    besos a vos y a la familia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good pictures and good sites! That horse head is a little scary.

    ReplyDelete