Saturday, October 30, 2010

RRT Part 3: Holy Cream! I'm in NYC

Check out the stadium seating in Times Square
Bright lights, Big city.  Although I assured everyone from my mom to my aunt to my friends that driving into New York City would be a piece of cake, my stomach was roiling with suspense. Surprisingly the drive was less stressing than the one from Maryland to Pennsylvania, and I arrived safe in sound in Brooklyn after passing blocks and blocks worth of 20-something hipsters— they're good for gauging the safety/sketchiness of an area.

The funky Hearst Tower
My last visit to the Big Apple was in 2008 during my senior year spring break.  At the time I felt overwhelmed, overcrowded and generally uncomfortable by the concrete jungle and its 8 million inhabitants.  This time has been completely different.  The city exudes excitement and possibilities and a bit familiar (I even ran into a friend from UNC who's now in law school).  I'm not sure whether this difference can be attributed to me, having been indoctrinated into city life in D.C. and then Buenos Aires, or whether it's the city.  Manhattan has created new outdoor piazzas in Union Square, the Flatiron District and even Times Square.  My friend says this is part of an attempt to give the city back to the people.  Whatever the reason, I love it!

Sharing the doughnut ice cream sandwich
The job search part is going so-so with success rate being about on par with D.C., which isn't bad but isn't wonderful either.  My mission before departure is to get one more interview or follow-up contact.  In the meantime, I'm savoring the hustle and bustle and the crazy foods... like doughnut ice cream sandwiches from Holy Cream.  Is this a potential competitor for another blogger's doughnut burger?

No comments:

Post a Comment